Tag Archives: outreach center
Pender ReGift Thrift Store is an outreach ministry of Pender United Methodist Church. Originally formed as “The Outreach Center,” which still operates at 12401 Alder Woods Dr., Fairfax VA 22033, the thrift store was started because the outgrowth from the at-church location.
We accept gently-used material goods. They can either be brought to the store during business hours, or taken to the church’s pod at any time. If you need a pickup, then you need to complete our online donation pick-up form, and your pick-up will be scheduled.
Our nonprofit mission is to be a witness by distributing material goods to those who need them. We have worked with both governmental and nonprofit organizations to maximize our distribution effectiveness. We’ve distributed locally, nationally, and internationally. We helped quite a few people establish households after being homeless or institutionalized.
Our store helps finance our operations, but as yet, our store has yet to cover all costs. Last month, your generous individual donations helped bridge the gap.
There is too much for me to do it all by myself. Currently we are actively seeking volunteers for marketing, for pricing and sorting, for deliveries and pick-ups, and to help mind the store.
If we cannot sell an item, or find a good home for it, we will recycle. Recycling is a distinguishing characteristic of our nonprofit. In addition to traditional recycling of cardboard, paper, plastic, and aluminum, we also recycle for metal, electronics, wood, and hardback books.
We hope that you will support our cause by shopping, volunteering, or donating.
Thank you for your interest in Pender ReGift Thrift Store—a ministry of Pender United Methodist Church. We are a non-profit extension of Pender’s Outreach Center ministry which assists many individuals and families in need of a helping hand.
We sell donated goods from our Outreach Center drop-offs and pick-ups, and also from a junk removal company that provides us better quality furniture, electronics, and other items: 123Junk is a company that minimizes what goes into the landfill helping us to recycle and reuse unwanted items.
Working with Fairfax County, Western Fairfax Christian Ministries, and other programs Pender’s Outreach Center ministry provides clothing, furniture, kitchen and household items free of charge to those in need. Through our Thrift Store, Flea Market, and Boutique sales we are able to support Pender individuals desiring to make disciples of Jesus Christ through short-term mission trips both domestically and internationally.
If you haven’t already visited the store/warehouse please come out, take a look around, and discover how you might help our ministry. Our hours are 11am – 7pm Monday thru Thursday, and 10am-6pm Friday and Saturday.
We have opportunities in volunteer coordination, sales, cashiering, pricing, sorting, furniture pickups and deliveries. I’d also be happy to tell you everything you would like to know about our activity and facility, please let me know! Please come out at any time for however long you can.
Currently we are looking for two long-term volunteers, with specific (yet flexible) assignments:
- Electronics Expert to evalutate and price electronics
- Furniture Repair Trainee; Miss Ruth is willing to teach you!
We are also looking IMMEDIATELY for
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Big Boy Volunteers
- Clothes Sorter Volunteers
Contact ReGift@PenderUMC.org for additional information.
Where are we?? 4447-C Brookfield Corporate Drive in Chantilly (past the Post Office)
Click here for driving directions!
- Get More Involved at Pender (pendernews.org)
- The Pender Flea Market and Boutique is This Week (pendernews.org)
Please place donations in the storage pod next to the Outreach Center or to schedule a pick-up of your donations, send an email to our volunteers by clicking here.
Many volunteers are needed setting up, working in the Flea Market/Boutique and cleaning up afterwards!
To volunteer, stop by the Sign Up Center in the Narthex to help out.
There are lots of benefits from being actively involved at Pender UMC. Getting to know people, and serving others gives you a sense of belonging. Being involved can have a very positive impact on your spiritual walk.
Become a member of Pender or at least attend often. Pender Connections classes are often held to help you with your decision.
There are always needs that have to be fulfilled. Below is a list of some of the ways you can get involved.
- Be a greeter.
- Become an usher.
- Serve in the children’s ministry.
- Talk to others around you after services.
- If you have handy skills, offer to fix things that are broken.
- Serve in the hospitality department coffee, lunch etc..
- Join a Sunday School class and/or a Small Group. We have lots to choose from.
- Offer to help with audio/visual
- Join the choir or band. Learn to play handbells.
- The Outreach Center can always use a helping hand on Saturdays.
- Help with cleaning.
- Attend Bible Studies.
- Help with fundraisers.
- Help out at the Pender ReGift Thrift Store
- Invite other people to visit your church.
- Join the Men’s group or a Woman’s Circle
- Knit or Crochet for those who need encouragement through Casting God’s Love
- Go on a Short-Term Missions trip
- Sign up for the Prayer Chain
- Volunteer in the Church Office
- The Flea Market and Boutique can always use sorters and salespeople.
- Pender’s Annual Mission Conference ~ April 12-14th (pendernews.org)
- Immediate opening for backup Assistant Director, Pender ReGift Thrift Store (pendernews.org)
- Pender Flea Market & Boutique, May 2013 (pendernews.org)