Please join us this Sunday, November 29, in worship at the 8:15, 9:30 or 11:00 Services.
Advent will start on Sunday, November 29, and we will start an exciting new Advent program,“Under Wraps: The Gift We Never Expected.” Prepared and piloted by The Woodlands United Methodist Church in Houston, this joyful program explores some of God’s unexpected qualities, presented over the four weeks of Advent, plus Christmas Eve:
- God Is Expectant
- God Is Dangerous
- God Is Jealous
- God Is Faithful
- God is Joyful
Just as the first wrapped gift beneath the Christmas tree marks the new season, so the birth of Jesus on Christmas Day signaled that God’s hope and salvation and redemption plan had come into the world. In Jesus, God gift-wrapped himself in human flesh and was born in a stable so he could come and live among us and offer us life and salvation that we could never gain on our own.
Join us this Advent as we unwrap God’s greatest gift, our Savior Jesus!
“Under Wraps: The Gift We Never Expected”
Nov. 29 – Dec. 24, 2015
From the beginning, the Bible tells of a love story between God and his people. As the story works its way through the Old Testament into the New Testament, there are twists and turns but the ending is always clear – God’s plan is to rescue his people. And so God sent Jesus. God actually gift-wrapped himself in human flesh and was born in a stable so he could come and live among us and offer us life and salvation that we could never gain on our own. “Under Wraps” is an exciting Advent & Christmas experience that explores four characteristics of God described in the Old Testament and then revealed perfectly and completely through Jesus.
Nov 29 God is Expectant Luke 1:39-45
During Advent we expect the usual crowds at the malls, the usual Christmas TV specials, the usual visits with family and friends, and the usual church programs. If we approach Advent in a manner that routine, can we really expect anything different at Christmas? Does ho-ho-ho lead to ho-hum? Can life be different? Have you ever been surprised by God?
Preacher 8:15 & 11- Kenny
Preacher 9:30- Dan
For more information about our upcoming sermons, click here.
Listen to 252 past sermons by Pastors Kenny Newsome, Dan Elmore and others in the Pender Podcast.
Directions to Pender
Wondering where to take your children on Sunday mornings? Below is a summary. More detailed information is available at the Welcome desk located in the main lobby and here.
- NURSERY CARE ~ Birth through 2 years, 9:30 am – 12:15 pm
- SUNDAY SCHOOL 1 ~ 2 yrs. – Adults, 9:30 am – 10:40 am
- SUNDAY SCHOOL 2 ~ Grades 4 – Adults, 10:45 am – 12:15 pm
- CHERUB CHURCH ~ 3 yrs.- Kindergarten, 10:45 am – 12:15 pm
- JUNIOR FELLOWSHIP ~ Grades 1-3, 10:45 am – 11:30 am
- JUNIOR CHURCH ~ Grades 1 – 5, 11:30 am – 12:15 pm
- November 29: Pender UMC Calendar Events
- November 29: This Week at Pender email newsletter
- November 28: Items of the week needed for Western Fairfax Christian Ministries to distribute to the needy in our area:
- Anything & Everything!
- 46 oz. bottles of oil, fruit juices, plastic bags and egg cartons are always needed and welcome too!
Donations can be left in the blue grocery cart in the coat rack section.
- November 98: The Pender Podcast is available in the iTunes Podcast series. There is no charge to subscribe or listen to past sermons. There are currently 252 sermons available. More information
- November 29-30: Register for Christmas VBS. More information.
- November 29- December 31: Nominate 2015 Pender Woman of the Year. Nomination forms are located in the United Methodist Women’s mailbox located by the elevators; and completed forms can be handed to Joyce Munt or emailed to her.
- November 29: Advent begins
- November 29: Traditional Service, 8:15 am. More information
- November 29: Common Ground Service, 9:30 am. More information
- November 29: Sunday School Classes. 9:30 am More information
- November 29: New Directions Sunday School Class. We will study the book entitled “The Holy Spirit – An Introduction” by John Bevere. We meet in Rooms 218-220 at 9:30 AM. If any questions, feel free to contact Carol Wilson If any questions, feel free to contact Carol Wilson by email or at (703) 815-1744.
- November 29: Sunday School II for adults. 10:45 am-noon
- November 29: Traditional Service, 11:00 am. More information
- November 29: Teen Sunday School. 11:00 am-noon
- November 29: The Pender Youth Orchestra, 4:15-5:00 pm. The Youth Orchestra is open to all youth grades 7 through 12 who play a wind, brass, stringed or percussion instrument. New members are always welcome! The Orchestra plays 4-5 times during Sunday morning worship from December-June. More information.
- November 29: Celebration Ringers, 5:00-5:45 pm. Register for this choir
- November 29: Youth Handbell Ensemble, 5:00-5:45 pm. Register for this choir
- November 29: Youth Choir, 5:45-6:30 pm. Register for this choir
- November 29: Turning Point Youth Group, 6:30-8:30 pm, with dinner. More information