The days leading up to Easter often have an understandably somber feel to them, particularly as we contemplate Jesus’ arrest, trial, and execution. It’s easy to forget that the week begins with a joyful event: the Triumphal Entry!
Sunday, March 20, 2016 is Palm Sunday, the first day of Holy Week. On Palm Sunday, we commemorate Jesus’ celebrated entry into Jerusalem just a few days before his arrest, trial, and crucifixion.
The “palm” in Palm Sunday refers to the palm branches waved by the adoring Jerusalem crowds who welcomed Jesus and proclaimed him King. The event is commonly referred to as the Triumphal Entry.
Please join us at our 8:15, 9:30 & 11am worship services.
Pastor Kenny & Pastor Dan will be continuing our current sermon series, The God We Can Know, and will be preaching on “Knowing God’s Way.” Scripture: John 14:1-6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)
Listen to 272 past sermons by Pastors Kenny Newsome, Dan Elmore and others in the Pender Podcast.
Directions to Pender
Wondering where to take your children on Sunday mornings? Below is a summary. More detailed information is available at the Welcome desk located in the main lobby and here.
- NURSERY CARE ~ Birth through 2 years, 9:30 am – 12:15 pm
- SUNDAY SCHOOL 1 ~ 2 yrs. – Adults, 9:30 am – 10:40 am
- SUNDAY SCHOOL 2 ~ Grades 4 – Adults, 10:45 am – 12:15 pm
- CHERUB CHURCH ~ 3 yrs.- Kindergarten, 10:45 am – 12:15 pm
- JUNIOR FELLOWSHIP ~ Grades 1-3, 10:45 am – 11:30 am
- JUNIOR CHURCH ~ Grades 1 – 5, 11:30 am – 12:15 pm
- March 20: Pender UMC Calendar Events
- March 20: This Week at Pender email newsletter
- March 20: Items of the week needed for Western Fairfax Christian Ministries to distribute to the needy in our area:
- 46 oz. bottles of oil, fruit juices, plastic bags and egg cartons are always needed and welcome too!
Donations can be left in the blue grocery cart in the coat rack section.
- March 20: The Pender Podcast is available in the iTunes Podcast series. There is no charge to subscribe or listen to past sermons. There are currently 272 sermons available. More information
- March 20: LAST DAY to Register for Easter Story Time & Egg Hunt. More information
- March 20: Holy Week Begins More information
- March 20: Common Ground Service, 9:30 am. More information
- March 20: Sunday School Classes. 9:30 am More information
- March 20: New Directions Sunday School Class. New study entitled “Soul Keeping – Caring for the Most Import Part of You” by John Ortberg. We meet in Rooms 218-220 at 9:30 AM. If any questions, feel free to contact Carol Wilson If any questions, feel free to contact Carol Wilson by email or at (703) 815-1744.
- March 20: The 10:30am Sunday School Class is reading a new study by Adam Hamilton entitled Seeing Gray in A World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality, and Politics. Contact Angie Green for more information.
- March 20: Sunday School II for adults. 10:45 am-noon
- March 20: Traditional Service, 11:00 am. More information
- March 20: Teen Sunday School. 11:00 am-noon
- March 20: The Pender Youth Orchestra, 4:15-5:00 pm. The Youth Orchestra is open to all youth grades 7 through 12 who play a wind, brass, stringed or percussion instrument. New members are always welcome! The Orchestra plays 4-5 times during Sunday morning worship from December-June. More information.
- March 20: Celebration Ringers, 5:00-5:45 pm. Register for this choir
- March 20: Youth Handbell Ensemble, 5:00-5:45 pm. Register for this choir
- March 20: Youth Choir, 5:45-6:30 pm. Register for this choir
- March 20: Turning Point Youth Group, 6:30-8:30 pm, with dinner. More information