Be glad, people of Zion, rejoice in the Lord your God, for he has given you the autumn rains because he is faithful. He sends you abundant showers, both autumn and spring rains, as before. ~ Joel 2:23
Tags: Joel, Joel 2:23, Today's Bible Verse
Among John Wesley’s advice: Eat a light supper at least two or three hours before bed. Oprah could not have said it better.
Wesley’s counsel to scholars also may seem relevant to couch potatoes, computer addicts and people who work in cubicles.
“Those who read or write much, should learn to do it standing; otherwise it will impair their health,” Wesley said.
Drink lots of water; it’s the healthiest of all drinks.
Other Wesley diet and exercise tips include:
- Avoid coffee and tea; they elevate anxiety.
- Exercise, preferably walking, is necessary for good health.
- Cold baths promote circulation.
- Exercise on an empty stomach.
- Go to bed at 9 p.m. and rise at 4 a.m. or 5 a.m.
Read the entire article at Wesley’s diet, exercise tips promote health – The United Methodist Church.
Tags: diet, exercise, John Wesley, water
Please join us in worship this Sunday, September 21st, at the 8:15, 9:30 and 11:00 Services.
NEW SERMON SERIES: SPIRITUAL GIFTS
Sermon for September 21st: “Gifts for ALL” (Ephesians 4:11-13)
Each of us are gifted. God has given each of us special gifts and desires for us to use them. Let’s talk about GIFTS this Sunday!
For more information about our upcoming sermons, click here.
Also on Sunday:
- September 21: Pender UMC Calendar Events
- September 21: This Week at Pender email newsletter
- September 21: Items of the week needed for Western Fairfax Christian Ministries to distribute to the needy in our area:
- Small Bags of Flour & Sugar
- All types of milk (evaporated, condensed, powder…)
- 46 oz. bottles of oil, fruit juices, plastic bags and egg cartons are always needed and welcome too!
- Donations can be left in the blue grocery cart in the coat rack section.
- September 21: The Pender Podcast is available in the iTunes Podcast series. There is no charge to subscribe or listen to past sermons. There are currently 169 sermons available. More information
- September 21: Traditional Service, 8:15 am. More information
- September 21: Time Out for Parents, 9:15-10:30 am
- September 21: Common Ground Service, 8:15 am. More information
- September 21: Sunday School Classes. More information
- September 21: New Directions Sunday School Class new study, “All In” by Mark Batterson. The following is a brief synopsis regarding the study – “Nothing belongs to you — not even you! Discover the radical act of dethroning yourself and enthroning Christ as King of your life!” New members are always welcome!! We meet in Room 206 at 9:30 AM. If any questions, feel free to contact Carol Wilson If any questions, feel free to contact Carol Wilson by email or at (703) 815-1744.
- September 21: New Sunday School Class: The Truth Project (begins September 21th) (in the Genesis to Revelation Sunday School Class in Room 218-220) This Focus on the Family’s DVD series, with 26 one-half hour lessons taught by Dr. Del Tackett, is the starting point for looking at life from a biblical perspective. Each lesson discusses the relevance and importance of living the Christian worldview in daily life.
- September 21: New Sunday School Class: The Good and Beautiful God (begins September 21th) (Room 205 – Library) A new Sunday School course immediately after the 9:30 am worship service led by Brian and Angie Green will be reading and discussing this book. To sign up or find out more information, please sign up on the Connection Card in the bulletin on Sunday.
- September 21: Traditional Service, 11:00 am. More information
- September 21: Turning Point Youth Group, 6:30 pm, with dinner. More information
Tags: Bible Study, Ephesians 4:11-13, Genesis to Revelation, New Directions, Pender Podcast, Pender UMC, Rev. Kevin Havens, RevKev, sermon, Spiritual Gifts, Sunday School, traditional service, Turning Point Youth Ministry, Western Fairfax Christian Ministries, WFCM, Worship Service