Palm Sunday marks the beginning of Holy Week, the most important week of the church year. At the other end of Holy Week is Easter, the most important day of the church year.
For Christians, this is the big event! And it’s all about the mystery that somehow Jesus Christ makes us one with God.
The days leading up to Easter often have an understandably somber feel to them, particularly as we contemplate Jesus’ arrest, trial, and execution. It’s easy to forget that the week begins with a joyful event: the Triumphal Entry!
Today is Palm Sunday, the first day of Holy Week. On Palm Sunday, we commemorate Jesus’ celebrated entry into Jerusalem just a few days before his arrest, trial, and crucifixion.
The “palm” in Palm Sunday refers to the palm branches waved by the adoring Jerusalem crowds who welcomed Jesus and proclaimed him King. The event is commonly referred to as the Triumphal Entry. Here’s the account from Matthew 21:1-11:
As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage on the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples, saying to them, “Go to the village ahead of you, and at once you will find a donkey tied there, with her colt by her. Untie them and bring them to me. If anyone says anything to you, say that the Lord needs them, and he will send them right away.”
This took place to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet:
“Say to Daughter Zion,
‘See, your king comes to you,
gentle and riding on a donkey,
and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.’”
The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. They brought the donkey and the colt and placed their cloaks on them for Jesus to sit on. A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted,
“Hosanna to the Son of David!”
“Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”
“Hosanna in the highest heaven!”
When Jesus entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred and asked, “Who is this?”
The crowds answered, “This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee.”
Chuck Knows Church — Palm Sunday. Have you ever waved a palm branch in a worship service? If so, do you know why? Chuckle along and learn about Palm Sunday with Chuck
March 29 at 8:15, 9:30 and 11:00 am – PALM/PASSION SUNDAY –
8:15 & 11:00 am Service Sermon Title: Old Rugged Cross
9:30 am Service Sermon Title: Palm Branches & Kings – Luke 19:28-38
For more information about our upcoming sermons, click here.
Listen to past sermons in the Pender Podcast.
Directions to Pender
- March 29: Palm Sunday – Holy Week Begins More information
- March 29: Pender UMC Calendar Events
- March 29: This Week at Pender email newsletter
- March 29: Items of the week needed for Western Fairfax Christian Ministries to distribute to the needy in our area:
- Hamburger Helper & Peanut Butter
- 46 oz. bottles of oil, fruit juices, plastic bags and egg cartons are always needed and welcome too!
Donations can be left in the blue grocery cart in the coat rack section.
- March 29: The Pender Podcast is available in the iTunes Podcast series. There is no charge to subscribe or listen to past sermons. There are currently 206 sermons available. More information
- March 29-April 15: Sign up for Mulch, delivered by the Pender Men. More information
- March 29: Traditional Service, 8:15 am. More information
- March 29: Time Out for Parents, 9:15-10:30 am
- March 29: Common Ground Service, 9:30 am. More information
- March 29: Sunday School Classes. 9:30 am More information
- March 29: New Directions Sunday School Class. Mark Batterson’s book entitled “The Circle Maker – Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears”. We meet in Rooms 218-220 at 9:30 AM. If any questions, feel free to contact Carol Wilson If any questions, feel free to contact Carol Wilson by email or at (703) 815-1744.
- March 29: Sunday School Class: The Truth Project (began September 21) This Focus on the Family’s DVD series, with 26 one-half hour lessons taught by Dr. Del Tackett, is the starting point for looking at life from a Biblical perspective. lesson discusses the relevance and importance of living the Christian worldview in daily life.
- March 29: Sunday School Class: The Good and Beautiful God (began September 21) (Room 205 – Library) A new Sunday School course immediately after the 9:30 am worship service led by Brian and Angie Green will be reading and discussing this book. To sign up or find out more information, please sign up on the Connection Card in the bulletin on Sunday.
- March 29: Sunday School II for adults. 10:45 am-noon
- March 29: Traditional Service, 11:00 am. More information
- March 29: Youth Confirmation Classes
- March 29: Turning Point Youth Group, 6:30 pm, with dinner. More information