Wear RED this Sunday, May 15th! It’s Pentecost Sunday, one of the principal days of the Christian year, celebrated on the fiftieth day after Easter. The Greek word pentecoste means “fiftieth day.”
Pentecost is the day on which the Christian church commemorates the coming of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles and others assembled in Jerusalem.
It marks the beginning of the Christian church and the proclamation of its message throughout the world and is often referred to as the birthday of the church.
Pastor Kenny will be preaching on “Fire!” (Acts 2:1-4) at the 8:15 & 11am Services and Pastor Dan will be preaching on “The Spirit Awakens!” (Acts 2:1-13)
Listen to 284 past sermons by Pastors Kenny Newsome, Dan Elmore and others in the Pender Podcast.
Directions to Pender
Wondering where to take your children on Sunday mornings? Below is a summary. More detailed information is available at the Welcome desk located in the main lobby and here.
- NURSERY CARE ~ Birth through 2 years, 9:30 am – 12:15 pm
- SUNDAY SCHOOL 1 ~ 2 yrs. – Adults, 9:30 am – 10:40 am
- SUNDAY SCHOOL 2 ~ Grades 4 – Adults, 10:45 am – 12:15 pm
- CHERUB CHURCH ~ 3 yrs.- Kindergarten, 10:45 am – 12:15 pm
- JUNIOR FELLOWSHIP ~ Grades 1-3, 10:45 am – 11:30 am
- JUNIOR CHURCH ~ Grades 1 – 5, 11:30 am – 12:15 pm
- May 15: Pentecost
- May 15: Pender UMC Calendar Events
- May 15: This Week at Pender email newsletter
- May 15: Items of the week needed for Western Fairfax Christian Ministries to distribute to the needy in our area:
- Egg Noodles and Hamburger Helper
- 46 oz. bottles of oil, fruit juices, plastic bags and egg cartons are always needed and welcome too!
Donations can be left in the blue grocery cart in the coat rack section.
- May 15: The Pender Podcast is available in the iTunes Podcast series. There is no charge to subscribe or listen to past sermons. There are currently 284 sermons available. More information
- May 15: The Waitlist is open for Vacation Bible School (VBS). More information
- May 15: Registration is open for Music Camp. More information
- May 15: Registration is open for Philippi. More information
- May 15: Traditional Service, 8:15 am. More information
- May 15: Common Ground Service, 9:30 am. More information
- May 15: Sunday School Classes. 9:30 am More information
- May 15: New Directions Sunday School Class. New study entitled “Soul Keeping – Caring for the Most Import Part of You” by John Ortberg. We meet in Rooms 218-220 at 9:30 AM. If any questions, feel free to contact Carol Wilson If any questions, feel free to contact Carol Wilson by email or at (703) 815-1744.
- May 15: The 10:30am Sunday School Class is reading a new study by Adam Hamilton entitled Seeing Gray in A World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality, and Politics. Contact Angie Green for more information.
- May 15: Sunday School II for adults. 10:45 am-noon
- May 15: Traditional Service, 11:00 am. More information
Youth Confirmation Sunday
This Sunday is a special day in the life of our youth where our confirmation students will publicly accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior at the altar during our 11am service and become official members of Pender. All family members and members of our Church family are invited to come and celebrate this important spiritual milestone in their lives!
- May 15: Teen Sunday School. 11:00 am-noon
- May 15: The Pender Youth Orchestra, 4:15-5:00 pm. The Youth Orchestra is open to all youth grades 7 through 12 who play a wind, brass, stringed or percussion instrument. New members are always welcome! The Orchestra plays 4-5 times during Sunday morning worship from December-June. More information.
- May 15: Celebration Ringers, 5:00-5:45 pm. Register for this choir
- May 15: Youth Handbell Ensemble, 5:00-5:45 pm. Register for this choir
- May 15: Youth Choir, 5:45-6:30 pm. Register for this choir
- May 15: Turning Point Youth Group, 6:30-8:30 pm, with dinner. More information